Can you smell the turkey roasting in the oven? Filling the air with the fragrance of anticipation of family and friends. Conversation and companionship transform the home. Yet at this time of year, the demands are high and there is lots to be done as we share in the bounty of blessings that are bestowed upon each and everyone of us. This holiday season I am asking you to stop for a moment and choose yourself first.
I know as I speak with my clients, many are concerned how they will handle every aspect of this holiday season. Anxiety stems from pleasing many people to how to make excellent choices around food.
Please take a moment during this busy time to take care of your body on a variety of levels. On the physical level, please do your best to try these” top tips” for choosing yourself.
- Make sure you start your day with an excellent breakfast- An egg omelet stuffed with veggies will help balance your blood sugar and energize your body.
- Dust off your cooler if you are traveling- Load it up with healthy items if you will be on the go. Pack nuts, yogurt and even a thermos of soup to guarantee that you are well nourished when hitting the road.
- Offer to bring a special healthy dish-This dish will ensure that you have at least one nutritious offering you can eat while dining out.
- Drink lots of mineral rich water and herbal teas.
- And know if you fall off the proverbial wagon and make poor choices during the holiday, just pick yourself right up and get right back on track the next day.
On an emotional/spiritual level, please take a minute to integrate these suggestions into your days so that you choose yourself during this holiday season.
- Allow yourself time each day to be silent and meditate. This will allow you the ability to remain balanced and energized.
- Make sure you get 8-10 hours of sleep each night. Give yourself permission to take a nap in the afternoon so that your cup is overflowing with energy.
- Breathe- Seriously, pay attention to your breath and follow it.
- Cherish yourself with a deliciously scented bubble bath at the end of the day to ensure that your vitality, vigor, emotional equilibrium, and mental clarity stay in place.
- Last but not least, say NO when necessary- Learn to let go of your guilt. Do not take on more than you can handle. Try your best to make sure you not left with shouldering too much responsibility. When you say NO, you will have more energy, more time, more confidence more control, more respect and more fun.
A wonderful Thanksgiving is filled with all the love, family and bountiful blessings imaginable. However, a true Thanksgiving is one where you choose yourself first. Where you honor yourself on the deepest of levels. One where you are fully present, fully conscious and open to all the kindness and blessings dancing your way. Wishing all of you a Very Healthy, Happy and Magical Holiday.
Here’s to your health!